Async backing & 6sec block time

Hello everyone,

we’ve started looking into integrating the async backing feature into Shibuya, Shiden & Astar runtimes. Unlike many other features added so far, this one will have a big impact on the entire chain.

This is because it changes the block time from 12 seconds to 6 seconds.

This is very important for builders who rely on block time. E.g. features like vesting, lock duration if measured in blocks, etc. To put it simply, any feature that relies on the ideal block time being 12 seconds will need to adapt. This includes smart contracts & possibly off-chain services.

For on-chain features, like vesting, dApp staking, tokenomics, Astar team will handle that. More details will be shared within the coming weeks.

The feature isn’t expected to go live on Astar tomorrow, but a rough estimate is end of Summer, maybe sometime in October.

12 Likes

Excellent.
I have been waiting for support for asynchronous backing since Polkadot announced the update.
Looking forward to it.

This is a really good news , will wait for further updates :saluting_face: :star2:

That’s a great update once block time is crucial for the network applications.
I am looking forward to check how fast and more reliable the network can get with it.

Thanks for the great news! :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s great. It should have a positive impact on the ecosystem. =)

@Dino will unlocked token from dApp Staking became to 5 days also?

This is fantastic news! Halving the block time from 12 to 6 seconds will greatly enhance efficiency for developers. Can’t wait for the rollout later this year! :star2::rocket:

1 Like

Great news!! Looking forward to seeing the updates.

I think it is very important to improve the user experience when they are interacting with DeFi projects, whether they are making a simple swap or just transferring tokens between wallets. I was wondering when this update will happen, but I’m very happy to see this upgrade. Congratulations to the Astar team.

1 Like

Thank you for the early notice.
Many different networks have brought the competition for speed to a very high level.
We must not fall behind, so this news is very welcome.
Here’s hoping for faster speeds!

This will certainly put us ahead! Thanks guys these developments are very interesting and necessary for the ecosystem.

Thank you for the notification.
I have confirmed that this development is being carried out on a dedicated branch.
As my understanding of ‘Async backing’ is still shallow, I would like to continue learning about it.

2 Likes