More internal teams?

Hello everybody !

I created this post in response to comments by @moonme on another post that I found very interesting. To sum up, he expresses the fact that according to him several projects have failed, winning quite a lot of rewards for, in the end, not building much. I won’t give any opinion on this specific point, because I don’t know the objectives of these different projects, what they did or not. However, these discussions have raised a question in me, probably very naive but I still want to ask you :

Why Astar doesn’t hire more people to form his own teams in order to create more “in-house” products?

For me, having a common structure makes it possible to have more efficiency, better ressources management, and that does not prevent working with creative and talented people.

In my idea, we should keep the excellent dapp staking system, the only thing that changes is that the majority (at the begining! ) of the projects are carried out by Astar teams. For example, I can decide to stack my ASTR on the RD team, or on the one that builds an NFT’s platform, or even the one in charge of a DEFi protocol, etc.

And as it’s primordial to continue to allow external teams to build on the ecosystem, because that’s ultimately the reason for being of ​​Astar Network, we give them the opportunity to be listed, but we will only select the 4-5 most promising projects per year. The idea is that during Astar’s early years which are the most delicate, we control the resources better to be sure that the money is used in the best way.

Over time, other innovative projects will join the ecosystem and the balance between Astar teams and external teams will be reversed. The Astar teams will have given the impetus which will make future talents want to développ their projects on the network and make Astar in a few years the real hub for dapps, the one we are waiting for.

Now I can already hear some people telling me that this is heading towards more centralization and that we don’t want it. I understand it, but personally I prefer a little more centralization at the start and then detach from it, than betting everything from the begining on external projects who may never reach their goals and which thus waste time, energy and money for the entire ecosystem.

That’s probably a very naive vision of the thing, I’m only a modest retail investor you know, but I wonder if relying so much on external teams is not a little too risky, at least in the early years of a young ecosystem.

Thanks for reading folks, this is only a external vision of a guy who is not in the team, who therefore does not have all the data. I don’t pretend to have the answers, I only ask myself questions and give some food for thought.

I wish you a very Happy Easter!

MF

1 Like

I found your post on Astar Network and the idea of building more “in-house” products to be an interesting one. While many blockchain projects do rely on external collaborations, there are certainly advantages to having a more centralized structure, especially in the early years of a project’s development.

However, it’s important to note that having a large in-house team can be costly, both in terms of hiring and maintaining the team. As you mentioned, a centralized structure can provide more efficiency and better resource management, but it’s also important to strike a balance between in-house teams and external contributors to ensure optimal use of resources.

That being said, relying on external teams and contributors allows for leveraging the diverse skill sets, innovative ideas, and fresh perspectives that external teams bring to the project, which can lead to more creative and successful outcomes. However, relying solely on external teams can also be risky, as there is always a chance that a project may fail to deliver on its promises or may not align with the overall vision of the project. Moreover, in the highly competitive blockchain industry, attracting and retaining top talent can be challenging, especially when competing with more established projects or well-funded startups.

In my opinion, Astar Network’s current approach, which is a hybrid model of in-house teams and external contributors, is a smart and practical solution. By leveraging the strengths of both approaches, Astar can efficiently manage its resources while also embracing innovation and creativity from external teams. It is also worth noting that external contributors often have a strong incentive to deliver quality products since their success depends on the success of the ecosystem they are building on.

Thank you for sharing your insights and have a Happy Easter!

2 Likes

Astar is a decentralized permission less blockchain. We, more than bet, we make the great technology.
#WASM XVM Buil2Earn

Actually, these projects were fully helped by Astar Team since the launch - they were part of the Astar Incubation Program.

I got your point but Astar is a permissionless blockchain. Everyone can deploy and ask to join dApp staking if they meet the conditions. The community choose: staking = vote.

We have been doing a lot of due diligence inside Astar SpaceLabs helping early-stage projects get ready to deploy and then apply to dApp staking - it’s a really hard task and time-consuming.

I don’t feel comfortable with the idea of hiring a team to build something and then spending resources to maintain these teams… this is the Web 2 approach. Also, developing smart contracts, dApps communities are things that a blockchain team just can’t waste time doing.

We tried our Incubation program to help the selected team over a period but it’s really hard to keep teams motivated to develop and building - especially over the bear market.

1 Like

Thanks @pitcoin777 for your answer, I understand that the team is focused on blockchain development rather than dApps. I just wish that with this amazing infrastructure we have the best products :slight_smile: I really appreciate that you took the time to answer me, thank you.

2 Likes

Thank YOU for highlighting your perspective. It’s really important and valuable to our community. As I said it’s only my point of view as a community member as well… maybe the Core Team can take some of your points and start thinking about something like an incubation program and stuff.

1 Like