Date: Oct 19, 2023
Requested allocation: 628,651.2552 ASTR
ASTAR Account: Wwfs24NNBLsdN9BHHj29spDsq5vkjk771dxPvMrXwraLywn
Short Description: Ongoing costs for supporting Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya networks in BlastAPI. These costs are ongoing for as long as the Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya ecosystems need this service. The costs requested are for Q2 and Q3 2023 (from April 1, 2023 to September 30, 2023).
Blast is Bware Labs’ API provider platform that aims to solve Web 3 infrastructure issues related to reliability and latency, by employing geographically distributed third-party nodes.
Blast offers a multi-region architecture that, along with a series of clustering and geo-location mechanisms, ensures optimal routing of user requests to the closest point of presence relative to where a call is generated.
The development and maintenance of the Blast platform are provided by a highly technical team of engineers with proven experience in both Web3 and Web2 projects.
On our multichain, subscription-based, API platform, Blast we support Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya networks with the following services and specifications:
- Expose RPC and Websockets APIs for Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya;
- The Service availability is at least 99.9%;
- 24/7 Monitoring and alerting for reduced downtime.
- 24/7 On-call engineering support.
- Developer support on Bware Labs Discord Channels.
- The incoming traffic is Geo-load balanced over three regions: North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific, with automated traffic routing for optimal response times.
- The Clients that use the Public API free version of Blast are limited to 25 API Calls/second.
- 12 Million API calls/month with a throughput of 40 API calls/second offered for free to Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya users on each dedicated Blast account
- Total traffic supported on all subscription plans and Public API: 3700 calls/second per region per network.
- Multi-region node hosting: Astar(EU, US, and APAC), Shiden (EU, US, and APAC), Shibuya (EU, and APAC)
- Support for Trace methods
- Security ensured through continuous integrity monitoring coupled with a smart routing mechanism significantly reduce the risk of malicious behavior from bad actors within the ecosystem
At the beginning of Q2 2023 we initiated the decentralization of BlastAPI. Third party nodes can join the protocol for Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya networks, and earn rewards for their contribution. More details about this can be found here: Blast protocol - Blast Documentation 1
The total Free usage (Public, Free Dedicated Endpoints, Subscan and Blockscout) in Q2 and Q3 2023 is 6.7 Billion total API Calls.
Average subsidized monthly API calls: 1.11B
Average subsidized daily API calls: 37M
We support Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya networks in Blast API platform so blockchain developers that are building their dApp on can bypass all the hurdles involved in running their own infrastructure thus reducing both their outage risks and infrastructure costs.
We’ve been supporting Shiden and Shibuya networks since 2021 and Astar network since January 2022. We will continue our support as long as the Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya ecosystems need this service.
Use of Funds
The funds will be used to pay for the infrastructure and maintenance of the Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya nodes between April 1, 2023 to September 30, 2023.
These funds will be directed to cover the costs from the infrastructure providers that are used for the Blast backend like Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Hetzner, OVH, Servers. com and Digital Ocean and our internal resource cost for the support provided by our engineering team to have high quality infrastructure services for Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya networks.
A monthly cost breakdown, including infrastructure and support costs for Astar, Shiden, and Shibuya networks, is as follows:
Monthly Infrastructure costs:
- Astar 6 nodes(2 on EU, 2 on US, and 2 on APAC) $ 1421
- Shiden 6 nodes(2 on EU, 2 on US, and 2 on APAC) $ 1421
- Shibuya 4 nodes(2 on EU, and 2 on APAC) $ 415
- Account maintenance and on call engineers - $1500
Total monthly infrastructure costs: $4757 rounded down to $4700
We can point out that we earn an average amount of 8490 ASTR per month from the dAppStaking Rewards, meaning 50940 ASTR in Q2 and Q3 2023 that would be deducted from the requested funds.
The costs, from April 1, 2023 to September 30, 2023, are $28,200, meaning 679,591.2552 ASTR, based on a 7-day average USD price of 0.041495531 for ASTR.
After subtracting 50,940 ASTR (dAppStaking Rewards), the funds requested through the proposal are 628,651.2552 ASTR.
Note: Requested amount value in USD decreased from $7000/month in the previous proposal to $4700/month currently