dApps Staking v3 - proposal

Hi @Igor

How come the T4 threshold have increased? I thought it was fixed

Hey there!

Can somebody explain, how the threshold for the tiers is calculated?
It seems like it is dynamic or is it set via governance?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Igor

I think for a project being in Tier 3 or Tier 4 is quite significant. In our case it seems the increase of the threshold by only a few percent moved us down one Tier and that is of course a big difference in terms of being able to have dedicated people working on a dapp or not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello!

Tier thresholds are set to change dynamically by the system.

Briefly, there are two things involved

• The price of ASTR
  • The number of ASTR issued

As the price of ASTR decreases, the number of slots in the Tier decreases and the threshold increases. In return, the ASTRs rewarded per slot will increase. In addition, the threshold is a fixed percentage range relative to the number of ASTRs issued, and changes dynamically within that range.

Please see the above document for more details.

3 Likes

We released this feature on Tuesday, September 3rd, as part of the runtime upgrade v5.43.0.

The T4 threshold now uses a fixed PERCENTAGE of the total issuance of the native ASTR token, instead of a fixed TVL value as before.

For Astar, the current T4 threshold is set at 0.02%, which equals 1.641 million ASTR for a total issuance of 8.208 billion.

This amount increases based on the current inflation rate, which raises the total issuance and, consequently, the T4 threshold amount.

2 Likes

Hi @2075,

You can check previous messages for the details on threshold amount calculations, but here’s a brief TL;DR:

• Before: Threshold amounts were calculated based on fixed TVL (Total Value Locked) amounts.
  • After: The calculation now uses total issuance PERCENTAGES, making it more dynamic and adaptable (e.g., in response to token burns).

These values are not set via governance; they were determined based on the total issuance at the launch of dApp Staking v3 and applied during the latest v5.43.0 runtime upgrade. The method for calculating the number of slots and the amount of rewards distributed remains unchanged.

Also, thanks to @you425 for your response! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sorry to hear about the tier downgrade your project experienced. However, the threshold amounts for T2 and T3 on Astar are actually lower now compared to before:

Before:

• T2 threshold: 70.981M ASTR // T2 min threshold: 50M ASTR
  • T3 threshold: 18.928M ASTR // T3 min threshold: 15M ASTR

Now:

• T2 threshold: 69.910M ASTR // T2 min threshold: 49.246M ASTR
  • T3 threshold: 18.427M ASTR // T3 min threshold: 14.691M ASTR

There has been a 15.6% increase in the T4 threshold:

Before:

• T4 threshold: 1.419M ASTR

Now:

• T4 threshold: 1.641M ASTR

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or need further clarification!

5 Likes

Nice, thanks for the patience and explanations, makes much sense now!

Hello,

I am wondering about the usefulness of bonus for stakers in dAppStaking. I think it is mainly to encourage users to stake during the voting subperiod and therefore to ask dApps to do promotion to attract as many stakers as possible.

With feedback and the numbers, do you think it works?
For my part, I have no opinion on it, that’s why I am asking the question directly here.

However, I see two negative points.

The first, the user is not free to move his stake during the BuildAndEarn subperiod, if he does, he loses his bonus. It is therefore difficult to arbitrate especially with the dynamic thresholds (this point has also been raised by the community).

The other negative point is inflation. I think that the basic staking APR (currently 13%) is sufficient and that it is not necessary to have an additional bonus. I agree that this base rate will decrease if the number of stakers increases.

Finally, why not remove the bonus?
There would be less inflation, more flexibility for the user, and I think it would simplify the implementation of liquid staking solutions.

Just an idea …

Hi @Igor

I think their’s deffinitly an issue with threshold calculation as per documention (number_of_slots Astar =floor(1000∗ASTR USD +50), number of slot should be 107-108 (regarding if you round up or down) @0.0579$/ASTR
However there is only 104 slote ATM which push up T2 threashold by about 2M and T3 by 0.5M
can you check that?

The current moving average Astar USD price is 0.054191, and therefore 104 slots. There is nothing wrong with the calculation. How did you determine your Astar USD price?

hey @GuiGou,

Thank you for your detailed message; it’s much appreciated.
We recognize that the current bonus setup may not be optimal (the first point in particular), and we’ll be discussing with the team to explore potential improvements.

Hi igor,

Look like my moving average calculation was off (i do not have access to a record of prices for passed 7 days and had to pics few arbitrarly).
Do you know where i can have access to exportable free data of Astar price ?

The oracle price feed can be observed on the Subscan here.

For the onchain aggregated value, you can check the price aggregator state using polkadot-js app.

The explanation of how it works is here.

EDIT: The numbers might be confusing, but it’s the fixed-point notation. Each of the number should be divided by 10^18 to get the usual human-readable representation.

E.g. the value 52,029,643,949,191,846 in the circular buffer is actually ~0.052 $.

1 Like