Fearless Wallet Proposal for Astar community
Astar & Shiden ORML tokens, XCM cross-chain transfers, Wallet connect v2 integration, Custom tips
The full text of the proposal is available here
1. Proposed Functionality for the Mobile Apps (iOS and Android)
- XCM teleports for the ASTAR/SHIDEN networks. Comprising relay chains to/from parachain transactions and ORML token support;
- Customizable tips for transfers; a special UI/UX to allow users to customize tips for transfers;
- Wallet Connect v2 Mobile Integration to interact with EVM-based Astar dApps.
2. Proposed Functionality for the Browser Extension
- XCM teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN networks. Comprising relay chains to/from parachain transactions and ORML token support;
- Customizable tips for transfers. A special UI/UX to allow users to customize tips for transfers;
- Wallet Connect v2 and Networking update to interact with EVM-based Astar dApps. The issue considers the ETH API and corresponding Web library integrations to provide users with the aforementioned functionality.
3. The Context of the Proposal
The ASTAR ecosystem is famous because it has a great infrastructure for building dApps compatible with both EVM and WASM smart contracts. The Ecosystem offers its contributors true interoperability by being part of the Dotsama ecosystem, which has a top-notch technological stack and efficient governance system. And at the same time, it provides all those who are interested with mature and well-developed EVM functionalities and opportunities.
Our team is highly motivated to develop and maintain these high-performance and user-friendly solutions for the Ecosystem, and we bring to your attention the following proposal, focusing on the implementation of:
XCM Teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN Networks: The XCM message format allows assets to move between relay chains and parachains, as well as between different parachains (and vice versa). It provides the Ecosystem with true interoperability, liquidity mobility, and high performance.
This technology allows chains to make XC (cross-chain) operations with tokens. From the user’s point of view, they appear straightforward and very similar to regular transfers, but there is a more complex stack of approaches and algorithms under the hood. As a part of the proposal, we’ll support upward and downward transfers between Shiden <-> Kusama & Astar <-> Polkadot as well as cross-parachain transactions on Kusama and Polkadot separately.
The feature will be available for all platforms, including iOS, Android and Web.
Custom Tips for Transfers: This feature has been available for users since the summer of last year. For now, Apps use the default minimum amount to successfully pass transfers over the network. It was a fast and necessary solution to restore the main function of the wallet. However, it doesn’t give users sufficient flexibility, as some users may want to speed up their transactions by increasing the tip amount. We’re going to design a convenient interface for this feature, as well as bind it to the blockchain logic and APIs.
This feature will be available for all platforms iOS, Android and Web.
Wallet Connect Mobile v2 Integration for Both Web and Mobile Platforms.
dApp Connector/Signer Logic Support: Currently, there are a plethora of dApps in the Kusama and Polkadot Ecosystem. Most of which are also available on the Astar and Shiden parachains. These dApps have various purposes and help fulfil almost every possible user need. It is crucial for mobile users to have access to these dApps with total security and within a familiar environment.
The implementation of a dApp connector/signer is more appropriate for solving this issue. The signer works as an intermediary between mobile clients and dApps, and it also allows mobile users to establish and maintain connections to dApps, as well as sign all dApp transactions within the Fearless Wallet Mobile interface (iOS/Android). Thus, users won’t have to export their key pairs to any other environment, and instead, users will be able to enjoy a web dApp experience on the interface it was designed for, while safely interacting with Fearless Wallet on their mobile.
While we researched a potential solution, we were faced with the issue of how a dApp and Mobile client could recognize each other and establish a connection. Unfortunately, a fully decentralized solution does not seem feasible. On the other hand, there are tried and tested alternative solutions.
Wallet Connect v2 is supposed to be a universal solution for both Substrate and EVM-based networks, therefore we will integrate it into the Browser Extension on the Web, and the Mobile Clients for iOS and Android.
- Start - February 2023
- End - May 2023
- Public demos every 4 weeks depending on deliverables
- Deliverables to the AppStore / Google Play according to feature finality
- XCM Teleports and Astar & Shiden ORML tokens support (Mobile & Extension)
- Custom tips (Mobile & Extension)
- ETH API and corresponding Web libraries integration (Extension)
- Start - February 2023
- End - March 2023
- Wallet Connect Mobile v2 Integration and dApp Connector/Signer Logic Support (Mobile & Extension)
- Start - March 2023
- End - May 2023
- Engineer Hourly Rate: $125
- 1st milestone costs (in USD): $65 750
- 2nd milestone costs (in USD): $58 500
Total Costs (in USD): $124 250
Fearless Wallet is:
- A native open source mobile app for iOS/Android
- A native open source library for Substrate iOS/Android
- A browser extension for Chrome and Chromium based browsers
- Non-custodial and decentralized, communicating directly with blockchain nodes
- An application with a superior UX/UI, performance & security
- Used by 130 000+ people around the world (based on AppStore and Google Play data)
- 40 000+ active users (MAU) based on recent App Markets data
- An important source of traffic, with 1 mln+ daily requests to Kusama and Polkadot, and other parachains (based on OnFinality nodes)
- Formerly funded & supported by the Kusama Treasury, and developed by SORAMITSU