Fearless Wallet Proposal for Astar community

Fearless Wallet Proposal for Astar community

Astar & Shiden ORML tokens, XCM cross-chain transfers, Wallet connect v2 integration, Custom tips

The full text of the proposal is available here

1. Proposed Functionality for the Mobile Apps (iOS and Android)

• XCM teleports for the ASTAR/SHIDEN networks. Comprising relay chains to/from parachain transactions and ORML token support;
  • Customizable tips for transfers; a special UI/UX to allow users to customize tips for transfers;
  • Wallet Connect v2 Mobile Integration to interact with EVM-based Astar dApps.

2. Proposed Functionality for the Browser Extension

• XCM teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN networks. Comprising relay chains to/from parachain transactions and ORML token support;
  • Customizable tips for transfers. A special UI/UX to allow users to customize tips for transfers;
  • Wallet Connect v2 and Networking update to interact with EVM-based Astar dApps. The issue considers the ETH API and corresponding Web library integrations to provide users with the aforementioned functionality.

3. The Context of the Proposal

The ASTAR ecosystem is famous because it has a great infrastructure for building dApps compatible with both EVM and WASM smart contracts. The Ecosystem offers its contributors true interoperability by being part of the Dotsama ecosystem, which has a top-notch technological stack and efficient governance system. And at the same time, it provides all those who are interested with mature and well-developed EVM functionalities and opportunities.

Our team is highly motivated to develop and maintain these high-performance and user-friendly solutions for the Ecosystem, and we bring to your attention the following proposal, focusing on the implementation of:

XCM Teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN Networks: The XCM message format allows assets to move between relay chains and parachains, as well as between different parachains (and vice versa). It provides the Ecosystem with true interoperability, liquidity mobility, and high performance.

This technology allows chains to make XC (cross-chain) operations with tokens. From the user’s point of view, they appear straightforward and very similar to regular transfers, but there is a more complex stack of approaches and algorithms under the hood. As a part of the proposal, we’ll support upward and downward transfers between Shiden ↔ Kusama & Astar ↔ Polkadot as well as cross-parachain transactions on Kusama and Polkadot separately.

The feature will be available for all platforms, including iOS, Android and Web.

Custom Tips for Transfers: This feature has been available for users since the summer of last year. For now, Apps use the default minimum amount to successfully pass transfers over the network. It was a fast and necessary solution to restore the main function of the wallet. However, it doesn’t give users sufficient flexibility, as some users may want to speed up their transactions by increasing the tip amount. We’re going to design a convenient interface for this feature, as well as bind it to the blockchain logic and APIs.

This feature will be available for all platforms iOS, Android and Web.

Wallet Connect Mobile v2 Integration for Both Web and Mobile Platforms.
dApp Connector/Signer Logic Support
: Currently, there are a plethora of dApps in the Kusama and Polkadot Ecosystem. Most of which are also available on the Astar and Shiden parachains. These dApps have various purposes and help fulfil almost every possible user need. It is crucial for mobile users to have access to these dApps with total security and within a familiar environment.

The implementation of a dApp connector/signer is more appropriate for solving this issue. The signer works as an intermediary between mobile clients and dApps, and it also allows mobile users to establish and maintain connections to dApps, as well as sign all dApp transactions within the Fearless Wallet Mobile interface (iOS/Android). Thus, users won’t have to export their key pairs to any other environment, and instead, users will be able to enjoy a web dApp experience on the interface it was designed for, while safely interacting with Fearless Wallet on their mobile.

While we researched a potential solution, we were faced with the issue of how a dApp and Mobile client could recognize each other and establish a connection. Unfortunately, a fully decentralized solution does not seem feasible. On the other hand, there are tried and tested alternative solutions.

Wallet Connect v2 is supposed to be a universal solution for both Substrate and EVM-based networks, therefore we will integrate it into the Browser Extension on the Web, and the Mobile Clients for iOS and Android.

Duration:

14 Weeks

• Start - February 2023
  • End - May 2023
  • Public demos every 4 weeks depending on deliverables
  • Deliverables to the AppStore / Google Play according to feature finality

Milestone breakdown:

1st milestone:

• XCM Teleports and Astar & Shiden ORML tokens support (Mobile & Extension)
  • Custom tips (Mobile & Extension)
  • ETH API and corresponding Web libraries integration (Extension)
  • Start - February 2023
  • End - March 2023

2nd milestone:

• Wallet Connect Mobile v2 Integration and dApp Connector/Signer Logic Support (Mobile & Extension)
  • Start - March 2023
  • End - May 2023

Payment Details:

• Engineer Hourly Rate: $125
  • 1st milestone costs (in USD): $65 750
  • 2nd milestone costs (in USD): $58 500

Total Costs (in USD): $124 250

Fearless Wallet is:

• A native open source mobile app for iOS/Android
  • A native open source library for Substrate iOS/Android
  • A browser extension for Chrome and Chromium based browsers
  • Non-custodial and decentralized, communicating directly with blockchain nodes
  • An application with a superior UX/UI, performance & security
  • Used by 130 000+ people around the world (based on AppStore and Google Play data)
  • 40 000+ active users (MAU) based on recent App Markets data
  • An important source of traffic, with 1 mln+ daily requests to Kusama and Polkadot, and other parachains (based on OnFinality nodes)
  • Formerly funded & supported by the Kusama Treasury, and developed by SORAMITSU
5 Likes
  1. First of all, I think this type of grant should be requested from W3F since it benefits the entire Polkadot ecosystem. Recently, Blockcoders made a proposal: Cross-chain Wallet - XCW by 0xslipk · Pull Request #1414 · w3f/Grants-Program · GitHub

2. There are already many wallets in existence. Math, Nova, Talisman, Subwallet and they are building without even asking a grant from Astar.

3. $124k is way too much for a wallet. For the same amount, I can get a team of developers to build a brand new 3D pvp game with ink! which will showcase our tech and get the community to experience something new.

But these are my opinion. I am not sure how others perceive it.

10 Likes

I support Toga arguments.

Also
I think you can feel free to build your wallet and support Astar Network. Maybe in the future will be possible to consider the possible listing of your wallet dapp on our dapp staking feature to support your builders.

1 Like

100% agree with Toga.

3 Likes

Curious if you can share any specific reason to post this wallet proposal on Astar Network? And it would be great to know main benefits of using these features on the wallet over them on the portal.

Dear @moonme

Thank you very much for your comments and opinion.
First of all I’d like to say that our goal is to bring as much value as possible to both, Astar and the Fearless Wallet community. A “Win-win” strategy is our credo. We’re pretty sure that 20 - 30 000 monthly active users can enrich the Astar ecosystem and dApps with activity and increase its liquidity. On our side, we expect that Astar community members who aren’t very aware of our product will get to know it better and start using it actively.

Let me briefly address all the points you’ve mentioned:

“First of all, I think this type of grant should be requested from W3F since it benefits the entire Polkadot ecosystem. Recently, Blockcoders made a proposal: Cross-chain Wallet - XCW by 0xslipk · Pull Request #1414 · w3f/Grants-Program · GitHub”

Unfortunately W3F changed their project funding policy last year, and even the Kagome project which used to be funded by them had to apply for a grant from the Kusama Treasury. We believe that this is a great opportunity for us to collaborate with parachain teams and integrate specific and demanded features to help increase the ecosystem’s value and adoption.

There are already many wallets in existence. Math, Nova, Talisman, Subwallet and they are building without even asking a grant from Astar.

You’re right, there are several wallets in the Dotsama ecosystem and most of them are funded by the Kusama and Polkadot treasury. But it doesn’t mean that these are the only ways of funding projects and products. We had a conversion with the Astar team in November when we shared our plans and perspectives. We also presented some integration ideas. We got pretty positive feedback regarding them. So these ideas have been finally added to the proposal. At this point it is important to specify that the proposal is for functionality that is exclusively to the benefit of the Astar community and user base, as the technology is bespoke to the network’s needs, which is why the Astar grant is being requested in the same way.

$124k is way too much for a wallet. For the same amount, I can get a team of developers to build a brand new 3D pvp game with ink! which will showcase our tech and get the community to experience something new.

I agree, the total amount seems pretty big taking into account the current market conditions. However we don’t insist that the Astar community has to order all the features. Actually it’s up to you. I’ve added a more detailed cost breakdown so you can see all possible features together with their costs and choose which seem to be more interesting and valuable for the community. Ultimately, the points within the proposal have been considered as they would bring the most long-term value to the network, it’s users and the bottom line, but it is you as a community who decides what is best, and how much that is worth.Feel free to develop your own milestones and feature sets from the given ones. You’re also welcome to suggest something outstanding which you have been having in your minds.

Features and costs

Mobile platforms

Feature Costs
XCM Teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN Networks $29 500
Custome tips for transfers $8 250
Wallet Connect Mobile Integration $42 000

Browser extension

Feature Costs
XCM Teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN Networks $6 000
Custome tips for transfers $5 000
dApp Requests Processing by Extension and Wallet Connect v2 Integration $16 500
Ethereum API and Corresponding Libraries Integration $17 000

Hello @anon24836865

Thank you for your comment.
Since we develop the Mobile Wallet but not a dApp (which are mostly on the Web) I’m not sure if there’s any reason to create a dApp on your portal. Also I’m not sure that this way of funding fits our company preferable business model.

Dear @pithecus

I appreciate your curiosity. As I’ve mentioned above our goal is to offer and deliver benefits and value to both, Astar and the Fearless Wallet communities. I’m sure this collaboration will help them to grow and to become more influential.

Regarding benefits of the Wallet I can say that Mobile applications are statistically used much more often and active rather than Web apps nowadays.

Another benefit of the proposed dApp signer functionality is the way of storing your keys and signing transactions. It’s more secure because you inject only public part of your key pair on the Web. Private key is stored in the Mobile client. And it’s used only when you need to sign dApp transactions.

Dear @moonme and @pitcoin777

Thank you very much for your comments and opinion.
First of all I’d like to say that our goal is to bring as much value as possible to both, Astar and the Fearless Wallet community. A “Win-win” strategy is our credo. We’re pretty sure that 20 - 30 000 monthly active users can enrich the Astar ecosystem and dApps with activity and increase its liquidity. On our side, we expect that Astar community members who aren’t very aware of our product will get to know it better and start using it actively.

Let me briefly address all the points you’ve mentioned:

First of all, I think this type of grant should be requested from W3F since it benefits the entire Polkadot ecosystem. Recently, Blockcoders made a proposal: Cross-chain Wallet - XCW by 0xslipk · Pull Request #1414 · w3f/Grants-Program · GitHub

Unfortunately W3F changed their project funding policy last year, and even the Kagome project which used to be funded by them had to apply for a grant from the Kusama Treasury. We believe that this is a great opportunity for us to collaborate with parachain teams and integrate specific and demanded features to help increase the ecosystem’s value and adoption.

There are already many wallets in existence. Math, Nova, Talisman, Subwallet and they are building without even asking a grant from Astar.

You’re right, there are several wallets in the Dotsama ecosystem and most of them are funded by the Kusama and Polkadot treasury. But it doesn’t mean that these are the only ways of funding projects and products. We had a conversion with the Astar team in November when we shared our plans and perspectives. We also presented some integration ideas. We got pretty positive feedback regarding them. So these ideas have been finally added to the proposal. At this point it is important to specify that the proposal is for functionality that is exclusively to the benefit of the Astar community and user base, as the technology is bespoke to the network’s needs, which is why the Astar grant is being requested in the same way.

$124k is way too much for a wallet. For the same amount, I can get a team of developers to build a brand new 3D pvp game with ink! which will showcase our tech and get the community to experience something new.

I agree, the total amount seems pretty big taking into account the current market conditions. However we don’t insist that the Astar community has to order all the features. Actually it’s up to you. I’ve added a more detailed cost breakdown so you can see all possible features together with their costs and choose which seem to be more interesting and valuable for the community. Ultimately, the points within the proposal have been considered as they would bring the most long-term value to the network, it’s users and the bottom line, but it is you as a community who decides what is best, and how much that is worth.Feel free to develop your own milestones and feature sets from the given ones. You’re also welcome to suggest something outstanding which you have been having in your minds.

Features and costs

Mobile platforms

Feature Costs
XCM Teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN Networks $29 500
Custome tips for transfers $8 250
Wallet Connect Mobile Integration $42 000

Browser extension

Feature Costs
XCM Teleports for ASTAR/SHIDEN Networks $6 000
Custome tips for transfers $5 000
dApp Requests Processing by Extension and Wallet Connect v2 Integration $16 500
Ethereum API and Corresponding Libraries Integration $17 000

With all the respect you deserve dear @skyforger79

Sorry but I don’t know your wallet brand, and you come to Astar Asking for 124k.
I think you haven’t taken the time to DYOR about Astar Build 2 earn.

I think you should pay Astar 124k to have Astar name in your wallet.

Thank you

Thanks for the proposal. How many Astar users does Fearless Wallet have? (any on chain data). And how many users can we expect to get through this update? This information is needed to consider the proposal since 120k is big amount and it makes sense to use 120k when there are a lot of users already.

I personally would like to make Astar wallet rather than Polkadot wallet adopting Astar.

8 Likes

Thanks for this proposal, but apart from the amount requested, I can’t see any Astar specific feature that would justify funding by Astar treasury.

As @moonme explained, these features should be funded by the Polkadot treasury, I know your previous proposal has been rejected but maybe next one can pass addressing the community concerns raised there.

3 Likes

Per my understanding it is very high rate.

Depens where they are located I guess.

Is this proposal still ongoing?

1 Like

Hello Maarten,

Thanks for the reminder.

We have processed and considered all the answers and general sentiment. The main concerns of the Astar community have become much clearer to us. We are currently updating our proposal to make it more interesting and less disputable. Our goal is to remove any doubts, concerns, or other obstacles that prevent us from having a productive collaboration.

Let’s keep in touch.
#stayfearless

1 Like

I think is better to close this proposal.

Thank you