Astar/Shiden & Cosmos Bridge Proposal - Builders Program Application

Project Overview

This project is a bridge connecting the Astar/Shiden network(based on Substrate) to a Cosmos-SDK based blockchain. The bridge enables transferring and receiving assets using the ICS20 standard for the two blockchains.

More explicitly from the ICS20 standard, this bridge will maintain 1:1 pegging of the assets cross-chain.

What We Do in the Bridge

Goals:

• Develop a bridge for cross-chain messages.
  • Develop cross-chain asset transfer feature on Astar/Shiden network.

Team

• Louis (Founder)
  • Julian (Architect)
  • David (Developer)
  • Andy (Developer)
  • Burt (Developer)

Astar/Shiden - Cosmos Bridge Roadmap

• Total Estimated Duration: 3~4 months
  • Total Grant Amount: $100k
  • Full-Time Equivalent (FTE): 4

For each milestone, we’ll publish the complete source code licensed under Apache 2.0 on GitHub, and other developers will be able to run and test it.

Milestone 1 — Develop a bridge for cross-chain messages

• Grant amount: $50k

In this milestone, we will develop an IBC enabled Astar/Shiden network, the corresponding mock cosmos chain, and a relayer in between to relay cross-chain messages.

Number Deliverable Specification
1. Astar/Shiden network Astar/Shiden network integrated with Substrate-IBC pallet.
2. Mock cosmos chain A mock cosmos chain and a script to receive Astar/Shiden network’s message and trigger the cosmos chain’s tx.
3. Relayer The relayer will relay messages between the IBC enabled Astar/Shiden network and the mock Cosmos chain. The relayer will have 2 RPC clients to communicate with the Cosmos chain and Astar/Shiden network, respectively.
4. Testing Script Test the message transfer between the two chains.
5. Design Spec
6. Operation Guide

Milestone 2 — Develop cross-chain asset transfer feature on Astar/Shiden network

• Grant amount: $50k
1. Astar/Shiden network The IBC enabled Astar/Shiden network will be able to transfer/receive cross-chain assets to/from a Cosmos chain via the relayer
2. Testing Script The script will simulate end-to-end asset transfer as integration testing.

Assumptions:

• This project depends on the ibc-rs crate.
  • Astar team will involve a Cosmos SDK-based blockchain to join the project and see to the Cosmos side of the bridge, including IBC framework and BABE-GRANDPA light client. The IBC functionalities of the Cosmos-SDK based blockchain should be ready for integration testing in milestone 2.

Questions:

• TPS requirement
12 Likes

Thank you for this application proposal. I will check this as soon as possible.

5 Likes

Another important step to interoperability :slightly_smiling_face:

I think this is a really good idea and a bridge to cosmos is essential. I’ve got a noobie question I’d like to ask but I’m a bit embarrassed to ask but here goes:

Don’t we already have a bridge to Secret Network in Cosmos built? Can’t we just adapt that?

Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

Hello @Hidden_Meaning Thanks for your question. Yes we have created the Secret<>Astar bridge. However, technically speaking, the bridge was EVM (cosmos) <>EVM (polkadot) bridge inatead of a native Cosmos<>Polkadot bridge. What we are trying to do here is to make all cosmos based chains and Astar bridge.

5 Likes

I have a lot of trust in Louis and his team to get this done!

Having a bridge with Cosmos is important for the entire ecosystem.
Happy to support this development

2 Likes

Superb! This is game changer

Octopus Bulders Program Application
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

@Burt I have started the poll above :slight_smile:

One thing we would like to confirm is that in your milestone1 and milestone2, both Shiden and Astar are included. In this case, the payment will be made after you deliver the bridge on Astar. Since everyone doesn’t know when Astar is launched because it fully depends on Polkadot Parachain auction. I would suggest you to make 4 milestones so that you can receive funds before you make a bridge for Astar.

1 Like

Thank you!
I will update the proposal separating the adoption to the Astar network to one separated milestone.
Since it’s adoption based on existing implementation, the effort would be less than the other two milestones. So I think one milestone is probably good to cover.

2 Likes

Updated proposal according to the discussion above.

Project Overview

This project is a bridge connecting the Astar/Shiden network(based on Substrate) to a Cosmos-SDK based blockchain. The bridge enables transferring and receiving assets using the ICS20 standard for the two blockchains.

More explicitly from the ICS20 standard, this bridge will maintain 1:1 pegging of the assets cross-chain.

What We Do in the Bridge

Goals:

• Develop a bridge for cross-chain messages.
  • Develop cross-chain asset transfer feature on Shiden network.
  • Adapt the bridge to Astar network.

Team - Octopus Network

• Louis (Founder)
  • Julian (Architect)
  • David (Developer)
  • Andy (Developer)
  • Burt (Developer)

Astar/Shiden - Cosmos Bridge Roadmap

• Total Estimated Duration: 3~4 months
  • Total Grant Amount: $100k

For each milestone, we’ll publish the complete source code licensed under Apache 2.0 on GitHub, and other developers will be able to run and test it.

Milestone 1 — Develop a bridge for cross-chain messages on Shiden

• Grant amount: $40k

In this milestone, we will develop an IBC enabled Shiden network, the corresponding mock cosmos chain, and a relayer in between to relay cross-chain messages.

1. Shiden network Shiden network integrated with Substrate-IBC pallet.
2. Mock cosmos chain A mock cosmos chain and a script to receive Shiden network’s message and trigger the cosmos chain’s tx.
3. Relayer The relayer will relay messages between the IBC enabled Shiden network and the mock Cosmos chain. The relayer will have 2 RPC clients to communicate with the Cosmos chain and Shiden network, respectively.
4. Testing Script Test the message transfer between the two chains.
5. Design Spec
6. Operation Guide

Milestone 2 — Develop cross-chain asset transfer feature on Shiden network

• Grant amount: $40k
1. Shiden network The IBC enabled Shiden network will be able to transfer/receive cross-chain assets to/from a Cosmos chain via the relayer.
2. Testing Script The script will simulate end-to-end asset transfer as integration testing.
3. Operation Guide Updated operation guide

Milestone 3 — Adapt the bridge to Astar network

• Grant amount: $20k
1. Astar network The IBC enabled Astar network will be able to transfer/receive cross-chain assets to/from a Cosmos chain via the relayer.
3. Operation Guide

Assumptions:

• This project depends on the ibc-rs crate.
  • Astar team will involve a Cosmos-SDK based blockchain to join the project and see to the Cosmos side of the bridge, including IBC framework and BABE-GRANDPA light client. The IBC functionalities of the Cosmos SDK based blockchain should be ready for integration testing in milestone 2.

Questions:

• TPS requirement