For Ledger users who use the native account (Ledger Astar Native App), dApp staking v3 will be unavailable. This is due to the plan of sunsetting parachain specific apps to use a new, Polkadot Generic App currently in development.
- Based on the current info, once Polkadot Generic App becomes available, it will still require from Ledger Astar App users to generate new SS58 address (de facto Polkadot address) and move your assets to that new address. So, if you want to use that one for staking, you will still have to Unlock your funds in dAppStaking v3 and move them to a new Polkadot Generic SS58 Address sometime in the future.
Even after dApp Staking v3 launch, Ledger users will still be able to withdraw funds from dApp staking, they only won’t be able to stake & claim rewards in the new protocol version.
If you want to actively participate in dAppStaking v3 you should move your ASTR tokens to a dAppStaking v3 compatible wallet (e.g. hot wallet or Ledger Astar EVM). For all Ledger EVM users, this limitation won’t apply - they will be able to participate in dApp staking v3 immediately.
This is a step-by-step guide for moving your funds out of Ledger Astar Native App controlled address to a new address. For more background please read this FAQ Section on Astar Docs or read more in this thread on Astar Forum.
The guide is basically a combination of unbonding and transferring assets which is already documented on Astar Docs (here and here) but the intention is to have a single document for Ledger users with all the specific considerations.
Outline of the process:
- Unbond ASTR tokens controlled by Ledger Astar Native App from dAppStaking v2 via Astar Portal dAppStaking page
- Wait for unbonding period to pass
- HOW TO OPTIMIZE REWARDS:
- There will be a special dAppStaking v2 decommission phase starting couple of days before dAppStaking v3 launch on Astar, during which Ledger users can initiate unbonding from dAppStaking v2.
- Once dAppStaking v3 is launched (couple of days later) the unbonding period will set to 0 for all accounts unbonding.
- Effectively, initiating unboding of your ASTR tokens at decommission stage means you won’t have to wait for 10 days to withdraw.
- v2 decommission phase will be announced on Forum and Discord
- NOTE: regular users don’t need to do this, quite the contrary, they are encouraged to take no action and just wait for dApp staking v3 to be launched, so they can begin staking again!
- HOW TO OPTIMIZE REWARDS:
- Withdraw ASTR tokens to become transferrable via Astar Portal Assets page
- Transfer ASTR tokens to an address you control and wallet is compatible with dAppStaking v3
- Make sure you are sending to an address you control: Please send some small amount of ASTR (e.g. 1 ASTR) first to make sure it ends up on the right address
- Make sure it’s a wallet with dAppStaking v3 capabilities: That means you have a hot wallet controlling SS58 (e.g. Polkadot JS) or EVM address (e.g. MetaMask or Ledger Astar EVM)
- Be ready to participate in first Voting round of dAppStaking v3
STEP 1. Unbonding ASTR tokens controlled by Ledger Astar Native App from dAppStaking v2 via Astar Portal dAppStaking page
Connect to Astar Portal with the Ledger Astar Native address you are staking with. This guide is assuming you are using documented way of connecting (via Polkadot.JS extension) which is described on Astar Docs and in Ledger Docs
After connecting to Astar Portal, (1) Go to dAppStaking page on Astar Portal,(2) Select My Dapps tab and (3) Click on
Unbond button next to the dApp you have your tokens staked on:
A pop out will show asking you to sign the transaction, choose (1)
Sign on Ledger:
Then verify your transaction on Ledger device by navigating screens with transaction data and (if all is OK!) selecting Approve on the last screen (1-6)
Now you have to wait for
Unbonding period to pass before you can
Withdraw your tokens as you can follow on the dAppStaking page in the Unbonding tab:
Once the Unboding period passes, select Withdraw on the dAppStaking page in the Unbonding tab
A pop up opens up asking you to confirm your action:
Press Confirm, after which Polkadot.JS signer window opens asking you to sign the transaction via Ledger:
And then follow once again the process of verifying the transaction data on your Ledger device.
Great! Now the ASTR tokens should be visible on the Asset page and available for transfer to a dAppStaking v3 compatible wallet
STEP 4. Transferring ASTR tokens to an address you control and wallet is compatible with dAppStaking v3
There are two possible options for you now:
- A) Send your assets to any hot wallet address (SS58 or EVM on Astar Network) on a hot wallet supported by Astar Portal
- B) Send your assets to EVM address on Astar Network of Ledger Astar EVM if you wish to keep on using Ledger to protect your ASTR tokens
- Please make sure you are controlling an address you are sending to. As a recommended practice - first send a small amount of tokens for test (e.g. 1 ASTR) to verify they end-up on in the right place.
- In case of B) the address you are sending is an EVM address on Astar Network (H160). To learn more on how to move funds between SS58 (Native) and EVM (H160) addresses on Astar Network, please read these documents for details:
Now you are ready for dAppStaking v3!
Please explore how dAppStaking v3 works by trying it out on Shibuya and reading more about it in the Astar Docs - For Stakers | Astar Docs.