Composable Finance proposes to establish XCM communication between Shiden Network and Picasso (Composable’s Kusama parachain) by opening HRMP channels. This will involve actions on both chains and is the first step towards integrating Shiden Network with Centauri, Composable’s IBC transfer protocol.
Our proposal is to open a bi-directional channel between Shiden Network and Picasso. The primary objective is to support Shiden Network on Centauri and establish connections with the following chains:
- Parachains on Polkadot, including Shiden’s canary parachain - Astar network, pending the approval of the related governance proposal.
- Picasso and protocols built on Picasso, such as the Pablo DEX.
- IBC-enabled Cosmos chains, NEAR Protocol, and Ethereum once these connections go live.
Although there is no on-chain proposal available, the proposal created in this forum serves as an official proposal between Picasso and Shiden Network. The proposal aims to open a bi-directional channel between Shiden Network and Picasso to support Shiden Network on Centauri.
The IBC protocol previously allowed for trustless bridging between Cosmos SDK chains; however, we are the first to extend IBC to other ecosystems. Centauri is an extension of the IBC protocol that will facilitate trustless cross-ecosystem communication among various blockchains, including Polkadot, Kusama, Ethereum, NEAR, and Cosmos.
Centauri is now live and currently supporting the following networks: Kusama, Polkadot, Statemine, Picasso, and Composable. Our team is currently working on integrating a cohort of parachains with Centauri, and Shiden Network would be involved in this process should the proposal be approved and HRMP channels open.
To read an overview of Centauri and the importance of the architecture of our IBC implementation on Picasso and Composable, read our docs.
To read about the importance of trustless bridging, check out our medium.
The procedure for opening the channels is as follows:
- Picasso initiates a proposal to open a bidirectional HRMP channel between Picasso and Shiden Network via this forum post.
- Wait for the proposal to be approved.
- Picasso proposes to open a HRMP channel from Picasso to Shiden via an on-chain transaction.
- Shiden Network approves this call, thereby opening the Picasso → Shiden HRMP channel.
- Shiden Network proposes to open a Shiden to Picasso HRMP channel. This may be done at the same time via a Shiden MultiSig Governance Batch call.
- Picasso approves a call from Astar, thereby opening the Astar → Picasso HRMP channel.
- Wait for another session on Polkadot for the change to be effective.
Ensure that the parachain’s sovereign account contains at least 10 DOT to be locked as collateral (5 for each channel direction), plus some DOT to pay for XCM execution fees, as this is a prerequisite.