Subscan explorer application proposal

Builders Program Application

Project Overview

Project: Subscan Explorer

Subscan is a High-precision Web3 explorer that aggregate Substrate ecological network.

Team

Subscan team

Team Website

Team Code Repos

Project Details

Subscan plans to provide basic explorer customization services for Shiden Network, Dusty Network, and Astar (prev-Plasm) Network.

Priority1: Shiden Network (Mainnet. R&D chain. Kusama Parachain)
Priority2: Dusty Network (Testent. Independent chain)
Priority3: Astar (prev-Plasm) Network (Mainnet. Polkadot Parachain)

Basic explorer customization services include the following functions:

• Block information
  • Transaction
  • Extrinsics
  • Reward&Slash
  • Balance
  • Event
  • Wallet addresses/holders
  • Number of transactions
  • Transaction Price
  • Error log

In addition, subscan will also provide customized services of EVM modules for these networks.

• EVM Block parse
  • EVM transaction basic information display (such as source, target, input, value, gas_limit, gas_price, nonce)
  • EVM event parse
  • EVM contract viewability (tokens transferred within the contract)

Overview

• Total Estimated Duration: Duration of the whole project (2.5 months)

Milestone 1 Basic explorer customization services

• Estimated duration: 1 month($8000)

| Number | Deliverable | Specification |
    | -----: | ----------- | ------------- |
    | 0 | Article | We will publish an article that explains grant details of this milestone in medium) |
    | 1. | Support Shiden Network | Basic explorer customization services |
    | 2. | Support Dusty Network | Basic explorer customization services |
    | 3. | Support Astar Network | Basic explorer customization services |

Milestone 2 Support EVM modules

• Estimated duration: 1.5 month($12000)

| Number | Deliverable | Specification |
    | -----: | ----------- | ------------- |
    | 0 | Article | We will publish an article that explains grant details of this milestone in medium) |
    | 1. | Support Shiden Network | Support EVM modules |
    | 2. | Support Dusty Network | Support EVM modules |
    | 3. | Support Astar Network | Support EVM modules |

Future Plans

Support more functions about Smart Contract Viewability, such as WASM module, Contract Call, etc.

Total: $20000
Receivable Token: SDN

2 Likes

This is definitely a need. But can you justify the cost?

$20,000 for 2.5 month work?

What is the size of the team to build this?

1 Like

Note: This application is under the Builders Program.

Hello Subscan team,

Thank you for your submission. This application looks great and we do need blockchain explorers.

Follow Up Questions

• Regarding the EVM module, what does this support include at milestone2? Since Shiden/Astar is the dApp hub on Kusama/Polkadot, we would like to have “contract call” “Smart Contract Viewability” on the explorer. Anything else? @Maarten @maario

• The total cost is $20k. Could you divide it into two parts: milestone1 and miletsone2?

Total Cost
The cost looks good to me. The scope may need to be discussed. Since Astar is not launched yet, this application will be paid with $SDN. The price and the number of tokens will be determined when this application passes the vote.

Next Step
Core team members and ambassadors will discuss this topic and we will have a vote.

Feel free to ask any questions.

1 Like

Thanks for your proposal @Yakio
First of all, we really do need this for our chains.

EVM Module:
This should be similar to how Etherscan works with transactions, contract viewability, and events.

Costs
It would be great to divide the cost over the two milestones, I believe the second milestone will require more funds than the first one. This will give us a better view of the delivered milestone and budget. Could you also add the currency in your total cost, for example, $20 000 in native Shiden tokens $SDN?

Thanks for your proposal.
Looking forward to seeing this deployed for our network.

Cheers
Maarten

Hi. I have a question as a user. You wrote:

" Basic explorer customization services include the following functions:

• Block information
  • Transaction
  • Extrinsics
  • Reward&Slash
  • Balance
  • Event
  • Wallet addresses/holders
  • Number of transactions
  • Transaction Price
  • Error log"

Current Astar/Plasm explorer (https://plasm.subscan.io/) already has such features isn’t it?

Also I would like to see an information about dApp staking (as we have an info about validators: Subscan | Substrate based blockchain explorer) and other unique Astar features in this specialized explorer.

Thank you.

Regarding this grant, we have 3 developers, 1 product manager and 1 designer participating. In fact, since last year, subscan has done a lot of pre-development work for the plasm network and nearly 1 year of free operation and maintenance (you can view it here: https://plasm.subscan.io/), based on previous work , The remaining tasks are expected to be completed in two and a half months.

After supporting 3 networks, our operation and maintenance fees will be greatly increased. Therefore, after the completion of this grant, we plan to apply for some operation and maintenance fees on a monthly basis to cover the increasing costs, such as computing resources, database storage, etc.

@sota @Maarten Thank you for your suggestion, I have divided the $20000 cost into two milestones, and indicated that the receivable token is SDN.

In addition, I have also improved the scope of milestone2. Here are some of the work we have done for other EVM networks, as examples for your reference.

1 Like

Thank you for your attention!
Yes, we have done some work for plasm and have been operating and maintaining it for free for several months. We need some funds to cover development costs (operation and maintenance costs are not included in this application).
Regarding the staking module, Dusty did not use the substrate native pallet, but made a custom modification.
We are happy to customize related functions for plasm, but want to make it look like Subscan | Substrate based blockchain explorer, we need to increase some development time and budget.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for making the changes.

Future Plans

Support more functions about Smart Contract Viewability, such as WASM module, Contract Call, etc.

Would it be possible to have smart contract viewability and contract calling in the second Milestone? I think this is needed for an EVM explorer and developers.

In the long-term we can add our collators to this and it would be great to have our dApp staking also displayed on the block explorer. dApp staking can also be very interesting for Subscan to join. Deploy your smart contract and get a basic income that can be used for maintaining the network.

I deffinetly support this idea. But there is no market price in $ yet. Maybe its better to approve the amount in SDN token directly.

Hi I also support the proposal. I think we should have an explorer that contains necessary information and with a friendly interface as mentioned by something similar to Etherscan since users already identify with background like this.

1 Like

Whatever amount of SDN that is worth $20k at the time of payment.

Better?

Hi @Maarten , thank you for your suggestions.
In my opinion, the smart contract viewability and contract calling you mentioned are similar to these functions of Etherscan:

These functions are technically mature, and these functions are already on our plan list. Nevertheless, we still need a long time to complete these tasks.

Our work plan for the next three months is very tight. Adding more tasks to the grant will cause us to have to adjust the work plan and personnel arrangements, which will affect the overall progress and may not be able to submit tasks on time.

Therefore, I suggest that we break down the tasks and do the tasks listed in the application documents first. After this grant is completed, we will apply for the remaining tasks in the next grant. We are willing to do more tasks, but in fact, we have to give up some to ensure the quality of the current tasks.

If my understanding of the requirements you describe is wrong, please correct me.

1 Like

Name: Subscan Builders Program Application
Right to Vote: Core team and ambassadors
Opening Time: July 16th
Ending Time: End of July 19th

Subscan Builders Program Application
  • YES
  • NO

0 voters