Proposal: Astar partnership hackathon

Hello @Juminstock,

It’s great to see you creating a new initiative to introduce Astar and the launch of zkEVM to the LATAM community.

Since the proposal has a budget over $10,000, it’s important to be more complete and detailed in your proposal and to justify all expenses with quotes and invoices.

You can take examples of how Treasury proposals should be submitted to Polkadot Treasury:

Before making a decision on your proposal, I’d like to see :

• Who are the other sponsors and partner prizes;
  • KPI & outcomes of this event (participants, hacker team, projects built on our network, etc.)
  • A more detailed description of the two workshops you want to organize;
  • Quote & invoices;
  • Explained in more detail the $6,000 for prizes (4 tracks), how it will be distributed, how many participants per track and winners?;
  1. Two technical workshops: We’ll conduct one workshop entirely dedicated to explaining Astar’s technical tools, such as zKatana, Astar zkEVM, ChainIDE, integration with Astar’s Substrate version through compilations, and everything related to our Astar zkEVM. The second workshop will focus on BizDev, aiming to foster new business relationships with products and services seeking integration into our network.
  2. A side event previosly of the event.
  3. Three Customized Tracks: Where we will seek to drive the creation of real products using our Astar zkEVM network.

You refer to the Astar zkEVM network several times but there’s no guarantee that Astar ZkEVM will be launched at the time of the Hackathon, how will you run your workshops and the hackathon if zkEVM isn’t live.

How can we be sure that the $6,000 in prizes will reward teams building on Astar zkEVM if the network isn’t live yet. I don’t think a product built on the zkKatana testnet is a guarantee to distribute the prizes.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @Gaius_sama G!, thank you very much for your questions and observations. Based on them, I’ve improved the proposal from various perspectives.

I’ve addressed all your queries in the following document, structured in the format you provided. I’ve broken down each point for clarity, especially regarding the team prizes, which you can find here: Astar spending proposal - Google Docs

Indeed, the Astar zkEVM has not yet been deployed on the mainnet. However, I’ve participated in hackathons where payments are made up to 15 days after winning the prize. The hackathon will be in February, and the core team has stated that the Astar zkEVM will be deployed in Q1, so I believe we’re well-timed.

I see this hackathon as a great opportunity, both for the Yoki Origins campaign and for the official launch. Even if it occurs after the hackathon, there won’t be any issues. We’ll have captured the audience’s interest, with projects ready to be deployed on our main network.

I hope this addresses your concerns, and I remain open to any further observations or suggestions.

Hello everyone!

The original proposal has been improved based on the suggestions from @Gaius_sama who provided a better format. You can review the proposal both in the original post and here: Astar spending proposal - Google Docs

As always, I’m available to address any queries and welcome all your feedback. Thank you for your support! :muscle:t3:

2 Likes

Hey community, new updates regarding the event:

The event is being very well received, and other protocols and several communities have already joined:

1 Like

Hey @Gaius_sama and mates!

I wonder if you could open the voting process for the proposal, it’s getting close to the day of the event and, if approved, we need to have everything ready :star_struck:.

Thank you very much! I’ll keep my eyes open

Thanks, @Juminstock, for sorting out and explaining the event details! I’m hopeful we can figure out the best way to make it happen!

1 Like

Hackathon is a good way to promote tech and blockchain.
So I love this initiative and you have my support.

1 Like

Thank you for your words, buddy!

I appreciate your support, GuiGou! :muscle:t3:

Hi @Juminstock,

Thank you for creating this comprehensive document.

I am willing to support this initiative, but I still have doubts about the following costs that have not yet been fully justified to me:

• $2500 for the stand at the event - any mention in an event deck from the Cinco De Mayo team?
  • $6000 for prizes - could this amount be justified? Could it be reduced?

The hackathon will be in February, and the core team has stated that the Astar zkEVM will be deployed in Q1, so I believe we’re well-timed.

Q1 runs from January to the end of March, until the date is officially announced by the Astar Foundation, there’s no guarantee that the zkEVM will be up and running before the hackathon, I’d like to see more guarantee that the prize will only be given if the products are deployed on Astar’s zkEVM.

One option might be to split the prize in two:

• Part for product delivery on zKatana during the event;
  • The rest after deploying the product on zkEVM mainnet ;

I will also open the vote now.

2 Likes

Thanks to you for the good support, @Gaius_sama

Regarding this doubt, of course! Here is a screenshot that justifies the cost and benefits of paying that cost:

Prizes are always very important, as a hacker, it’s one of the first things we look at when signing up for a hackathon. The ETH Cinco de Mayo team was ingenious in requiring minimum prizes of 6K as this will attract a lot of developers and seeing that we offer several tracks they will surely want to build things on top of our network.

We do this mainly so that they see Astar as an attractive protocol to build things on.

You are absolutely right about that, Gaius and the idea you propose is great and 100% the most ideal. We can do a 33/67 ratio, where we pay the hackers 33 percent of the prize and once they deploy the product on the zkEVM mainnet, the rest is cancelled to them. that’s how we’ll do it!

1 Like
Fund $10 250 (72 150 ASTR with ASTR EMA7=$0.14) from Community Treasury to Carlos to sponsor ETH Cinco de Mayo Hackathon
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
2 Likes

I am a regular fan of hackathons, I have a question Carlos, is this going to be a particular hackathon for Astar? or is it being promoted for Ethereum, I may have missed this answer before.

I believe in the expansion of Astar in Latam but I need to be aware of things to decide on my vote, I am concerned that the Hackathon will be diluted in Ethereum and not fall sufficiently on Astar because it would not make sense to organize a Hackathon to promote more Ethereum than Astar.

2 Likes

Hi, mate @Vangardem, thank you very much for your question!

This is actually a 100% community focused event, no funding is being received from the Ethereum foundation so that’s not what you should worry about.

It’s called ETH Cinco de Mayo mainly because it’s an EVM hackathon, solely because of that.

Rest assured I will be highlighting Astar’s presence as much as possible :muscle:t3:.

2 Likes

I think this is the first time an event of this kind is held in LATAM, I hope it goes well! Good luck and success!

If the application is approved it will be very interesting to see the results and the winners, as well as the rest of the event.

Just a suggestion, you should put in the rules of the hackathon for Astar, that they are committed to build a project in Astar ECO that would be great!

2 Likes

Great initiative. However, why not host Astar native Hackathon instead of sponsoring ETH Cinco ? Thank you.

2 Likes

I really appreciate your support, buddy @Vangardem, as we are both bidding for the adoption of Astar in LATAM.

Regarding your comment and suggestion, of course! In addition to what the teams will present (GitHub repository with the source code and well documented, pitch with the demo video and be deployed in Astar) I will create a report detailing everything that happened at the event :sunglasses:

Hi @cmalize, thank you for your interesting question!

Organizing an event of that magnitude requires a lot of hard work (plus it would cost more than the 10K of the current proposal). Being a sponsor of this event will allow us to allow attendees (more than 500 devs) to see our technology and be interested in us, in addition to taking advantage of the spaces and other work that the ETH Cinco de Mayo organizing team has been doing.

I hope I have answered your question.

1 Like

I understand how expansive event are to be prepared… but I still think the amount request is too high for the deliverables expected. Could you elaborate more, what do you want to achieve after the event? What are the outputs?

I support the proposal, though.

3 Likes

Hi @pitcoin777, I appreciate your question!

As you said, we want to create a large-scale event, which requires a strategy composed of marketing and BizDev. Mainly, the biggest expense (6,000 USD) is destined to be paid to the devs who build new products on our Astar zkEVM network, this amount is divided in 4 parts:

2,000 USD → DeFi
2,000 USD → GameFi
1,000 USD → Tools
1,000 USD → Other great idea!

If you see it divided this way, you will notice that it is not so high. Also, if no team is motivated to fulfill some of our tracks, the money will be returned to the treasury, as I said in the original proposal.

Besides attracting new projects to the network, the event will be used to hand out protocol merch (685 USD): T-shirts, water bottles, stickers, boxes with the logo and loads with our networks and a QR to join our community, this, although it seems tiny, is what attracts new regular users who will possibly use our applications (Portal, dApp Staking, dApps and more).

Finally, the side event will be 100% dedicated to BizDev, we will talk about the Yoki Origins campaign and attract new artists, projects, founders, users and more.

I hope this has made everything clearer for you, my friend.

2 Likes