GameDAO Unstoppable Grants / dApp Staking Application

Hey ASTAR!

We are building GameDAO, a community centric publishing protocol featuring fundraising, governance, ownership and distribution for video games. We have started a while ago and currently run our beta protocol as native pallet on zero.

Our plan is to expand to ASTAR zkEVM and want to start discussion and planning for our project. Therefore we apply for Unstoppable Grants and dApp Staking and request a loan of 2M $ASTR over 3 months to get started migrating from pallet to zkEVM.

More details about the proposal and our background can be found here:

We are also asking for feedback from the community and look forward to comments and questions.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration :slight_smile:

Cheers
Marco / GameDAO

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for the proposal.

I see that you are releasing Parachain in Kusama.

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. What kind of features do you intend to develop in Astar zkEVM, I understand that GameDAO is a gaming platform, but I would like to know more specifics.
  2. What is the roadmap you plan to follow? I would like to know more specific plans with timelines. 3.
  3. How much interest do you have from users? I would like to know the track record as a platform.

Thank you for the proposal. If I may, I’d like to ask a few additional questions:

1. In terms of numerical targets, what plans does the team have?

2. Currently, GameFi is not as trendy as it was in the recent past. How does the team plan to manage this situation?

Hi @you425 , thanks for the questions.

Yes, on the technical side we are running various environments and our canary network on Kusama, due to GameDAO currently being fully based on rust pallet code. With migration / extension to Astar with ink and evm code, we expect to attract more people from evm based networks interested in solid tech and community.

The goal is to migrate the DAO, treasury, governance, membership protocols as well as compliant fundraising and engagement, and also make it work across networks to capture more game creators, gamers and web3 people interested in gaming.

We are also working on bringing in more game titles from our backlog, where traditional games are more interested into our protocol and existing legal framework and web3 oriented game creators look more fore evm based solutions which already bridge into other ecosystems.

Regarding roadmap, apart from the protocol developments, which will take place in Q3/Q4, we are continuing our efforts to bring in larger community / content creator / esports communities, like we did in an early mvp/alpha with our Battlepass ( app based on the engagement protocol ), where we tapped a + 7m fanbase from WAVE esports and AEX-1 , where we have been a trikot sponsor as well.

Hope this helps to clear up some of the questions!

1 Like

Hey @BoomBLB

Thanks for the questions.

In terms of numerical targets we are aiming at bringing in 3-6 video games onto the protocol and around 3 mid size esports organizations, to drive the initial setup.

In regards to GameFi, I totally agree. GameDAO is more focussed on bringing in real video game creators and gamers interested in tokenization and ip ownership aspects, to innovate and derisc the game life cycle. This will happen through community support at various steps of the life cycle, like discovery, co creation, fundraising and amplification.

The community is able to prioritize certain aspects of the roadmap, which can e.g. increase conviction for GameFi related mechanics, then we would be initiating the respective workstreams to make it happen.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
Marco

Thank you for your reply.

The specificity of the roadmap refers to activities such as what is planned to be developed in July, for example, or marketing, etc. Since UCG is obligated to report monthly activities, the monthly roadmap is important.
The roadmap in the document does not say anything about timing, so I am unable to make this determination.

Oh yes, you are right. For the UCG era, I suggest the following roadmap for the three months:

1. July “setup”
  • driving the roadmap for the complete protocol and sales funnel
  1. August “blueprints”
  • xcm <> ink <> evm interaction
  • proxy / upgradability
  1. September "validation
  • public discussion of blueprints and protocols
2 Likes

I like what I read here - i will be voting yes

1 Like

Interesting project. I really like the idea of a DAO that manages fundraising and makes it democratic for holders to vote on potential investments in a game. In this condition, the GAME holders will have on-chain power to delegate tokens to specific projects that are raising money.

1 Like

Thank you, I would like to dig a little deeper.

1. What is the “roadmap” for July? Are you referring to the roadmap in the document?
  2. Can you explain a bit more about September as it is quite vague?

Thank you for your proposal.

I have read through your documents and the responses to other people’s questions, but to be honest, I could not understand what is being offered to whom, what benefits and incentives exist for those who participate in this DAO, etc. It might be due to my lack of reading comprehension, but I think there are two complex points included in the GameDAO materials that make it difficult to understand.

The first is ‘DAO.’ ‘DAO’ is a very challenging concept even at present, and people interpret it differently. What does your DAO refer to as ‘DAO’? Please explain it in an understandable way.

The second is ‘protocol.’ In the context of web3, ‘protocol’ is also very complex and, like ‘DAO,’ is interpreted differently. I would like you to show what it is specifically, using examples.

It seems necessary to present the proposal document more concisely, politely, and specifically. Also, as mentioned earlier, trying to make people understand through text alone can lead to different perceptions, so I personally think it would be good to include visualized items (charts, images, etc.).

As I understand from the documents you have created all the governance and legal regulatory stuff and now you focus on developing the protocol right?

Could you give some more examples how this will work exactly? –
Framework for tokenized game assets, licensing, property rights, financing

Hey, thanks for the question.

The roadmap is the definition of high level items for the next 12-18 months, meaning e.g. protocol migrations, but also topics like update the paper to fit the new situation of integrating with the Astar community in a tailored fashion.

September is actually more important than it reads, it will bring the roadmap and blueprint items to a product / technical audience, also aligning with the Astar community.

Hey @tksarah
Thanks for digging deeper.

Yes, things are partially high level, while there is also quite some documentation already, sometimes it is a challenge to scope information for the respective audience, as the topcis are all pretty high density.

I suggest to read the following two posts from a while ago, outlining the bootstrapping or funding for videogames in the past and the initial protocol design for gamedao:

The Art of Videogames Funding

The GameDAO Pinky Paper

Both can explain the initial angle how we approached problems like set up of a legally compliant DAO, meaning community governed through a variety of proposal types, enabled for everyone holding GAME token.

The legal set up enabling this is completed, basically using GameDAO as a wrapper company covering regulatory requirements in terms of token issuance, licenses, etc.

The second part is GAME token itself, which has been approved (legal opinion) as utility/governance token by the authorities in Liechtenstein.

The third part is enactment of the governance, which is done in this case through our non profit GAME3 Foundation, which legally enables token holders through its statutes to collectively govern over certain company and topics.

All entitites are also audited, therefore the result is a legal and regulatory compliant setup, protecting token holders, game creators, any participant to interact with the protocols in a friendly environment.

The community joins the high level governance of GameDAO through GAME token, meaning discovery, promotion, funding and spending.

And the community can join project DAOs, depending on its settings, to join their governance, treasury, fundraising, engagement.

This enables e.g.

• game creators to create a DAO, fundraise, build project
  • gamers to co invest and amplify projects
  • investors to mitigate investment risk through initial community buy in
  • creatives to collaborate and support other DAOs

Protocols in that regard means at the current state of design and implementation:

• create your own DAO (potentially like a subdao, which can eventually be supervised through the foundation setup, not final yet)
  • provide tokenised memberships
  • fundraise into a community governed treasury
  • engage (socials, games)

Please let me know if you need further information, happy to clear up.

1 Like

Hey @Sequaja

Thanks for the question, I hope my previous answer helps shed some light on it.

Thank you for your reply.
I kind of understand what you are indicating, but I still think it is not specific enough.

I think this is common with some of the questions from other people, but overall I think you are missing a description of the project and what you are trying to do.
It would be preferable to explain within the thread here regarding the outline, and submit external materials (blogs, etc.) as a supplement. In other words, some presentation skills are necessary.

Examples of recent UCG hiring projects will give you an idea of what to expect. Please use them as a reference.

Hey @you425

Here are some product walkthroughs from alpha/beta stage, showing what we are working on:

DAO + Campaign oriented:

Engagement oriented:

Over the next months we will translate this into mobile apps on the user facing side and to wasm/evm on the protocol side.

Hope that helps to give more context.

Marco

Hey,
Your project seems to me very interesting. I have to dig a little bit more.
For the time being, I just have a question. Have you planned :

1. to continue to have your parachain and connect it to Astar via the wasm smart contracts,
  2. migrate all the logic in the smart contract deployed on Astar and then stop/pause the parachain ?
1 Like

Hey @GuiGou

Good questions, thanks.

The original plan is to make GameDAO a cross chain protocol, so people in any ecosystem can take part. This also enables it to aggregate liquidity and user base from other networks to the benefit of all.

The main purpose of the parachain is not GameDAO itself but to host infrastructure protocols for games and related industries. Although, looking at async baking and JAM, the future there might look like something else and maybe not on Kusama.

Seems like great product, looking forward on yur development!

1 Like